URUGUAYAN PASTA FROLA
While popular in many South America countries no one does does this delicious pie like the Uruguayans. It is a national treasure in Uruguay. Served with hot tea or coffee it is a sweet dessert, a special breakfast or an anytime snack for those with a sweet tooth. These are filled with either quince jam, guava jam or sweet potato.
2 cups baking flour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
Zest of lemon
1 egg yolk
10 oz. Quince paste or Guava paste (you can buy it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2BKZz6v)
2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs melted butter
½ cup shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In mixing bowl mix flour, baking powder, sugar and lemon zest and mix well. It should have a grainy consistency.
2. Add eggs and mix. If it gets too sticky add a small amount of flour/
3. Roll out 2/3 of the dough and place in the pie pan and then place in the refrigerator. If it is too soft to roll place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes and then try rolling out.
4. Cut the quince (or guava) paste into small pieces and pour into a saucepan over low heat with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir constantly over low heat, until it melts and becomes a thick jam. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. Remove pie pan from refrigerator and fill with the jam pouring it evenly,
6. Roll out the rest of the dough to 1/8 inch thick and cut into strips ½ inch wide
7. Glue the edges by placing a strip of dough all the way around the pie pan.
8. Brush the edge with butter and sprinkle with coconut
9. Bake 30-40 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Allow to cool.